The National Historical Society (NHS) is 501-c(3) nonprofit organized “to foster, promote, and encourage interest in and the study of American history and culture, support research, and develop media to connect all Americans to their shared heritage.” It will also “encourage the teaching of American history and civics in schools and universities, and promote civic literacy.”
NHS is taking over the operations of the American Heritage Society, and will continue and build on the 73-year tradition of American Heritage Magazine by illuminating our nation’s past in new ways, across multiple media, to reach academic and non-academic audiences alike.
Donations to the National Historical Society are tax deductible. Our EIN number is 88-2148184.
Every state in the U.S. has a historical society, as well as most counties and cities. But until now there has not been a national society to educate about the events and people who helped make America the world’s leading democracy.
Among our programs are:
- Publishing American Heritage, the leading magazine of history for 72 years
- Publishing Invention & Technology, the only popular magazine of the history of innovation
- Developing Fourscore (4score.org), a major new educational system to teach history with trusted texts and curriculum guidance for instructors
- Offering over 250 books in printed, audio, and ebook format
- Developing HistoricTaverns.org, the first list of Colonial and Revolutionary War taverns with photos, descriptions, and maps of over 200 historic places where America was born.
- Building Heritage Sites, a helpful listing of over 4,000 historic sites across the U.S.
Our mailing address is:
500 N. Washington St, Box 1488
Rockville, MD 20849
Download our brochure here:
|National Historical Society brochure.pdf (8.42 MB)||8.42 MB|